Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"I must be CRAZY!" -or- Entering My First A & S Pentathlon

I have not posted in awhile, not (just) because I am a procrastinator, but MOSTLY because I have been pretty busy for the past, well, just about a year. This past weekend all the hard work came to its completion as I entered my first (and most likely last) Pentathlon at the Middle Kingdom Arts and Science Faire.

My entry began with an inspiration, partly form a painting, and partly from a class I took taught by Duke Alen. The painting is of a woman applying henna, and the class (on metal punch work) was also used as a Demonstrating Period Activities entry. These two things together made me realize that henna application would fit this entry category perfectly.

As there were also other projects I was inspired to work on, I decided to build a Pentathlon entry (this is 5 entries in 5 separate categories of at least 4 different divisions) around Safavid Persian accessories. As I wanted to focus more than one entry on henna, I also wrote a research paper on, what else, henna!

While this was a large and stressful endeavor, I certainly learned a great deal, and not just about each craft or technique. Most importantly I learned the importance of giving myself MORE time to complete projects that have a deadline, as I really have a poor understanding of how long it takes me to complete things.

Never the less, all 5 projects were complete and ready for the Pentamere Regional A&S Faire. This year's faire was at an event held 5 houses down the street from me. It was nice to be able to walk to the event, and come back home on my one break to relax in quite. My neighbors must have thought I was very odd though, seeing me walking down the street in my Persian garb!

Regional went well, and though I wasn't thrilled with (and a bit surprised by) the research paper scores, I had 3 firsts and 2 seconds, qualifying me for Kingdom! I was also the Pentamere Pentathlon winner/Regional A&S champion... but only by default as I was the only Pentathlon entry.

Moving forward to the Kingdom A&S faire... so I learned it is a bit nerve-racking to go from the ONLY Pent entry to being one of EIGHT!!! The most ever in the Middle Kingdom, at the largest Kingdom A&S Faire to date. So, being part of that historical event is pretty awesome in and of itself!

After my initial nerves settled, I had a wonderful day and greatly enjoyed the discussions I had with all the judges throughout the day. Outside of the competition, I also got to chat with a few newer friends a don't see often, and met several great people. I got to see 4 VERY deserving individuals that I highly admire and respect get put on vigil (3 for Pelican and 1 for Laurel), watch an amazing artisan (who judged 2 of my entries, was incredibly encouraging and had great and very useful feedback) be elevated to the Order of the Laurel, and was witness to the making of our new Prince and Princess!

Ok, back to my entries... overall I did well, 3 firsts and 2 seconds again (the research paper is only judged once, so the same score stands). And while I did improve me scores on some entries, a couple were down a point or less. In the end, my Kingdom score was slightly lower than Regional. In the end I placed 5th out of the 8 Pent entries... and seeing the other entries, I am pleased to have been amongst them and held my own!
All in all it was a tremendous learning experience, great fun (at the faires), and I am very glad for what I accomplished (and glad it is over)!

Kingdom A&S entries display

Here are the photos from my entries at Kingdom (with a few photos from Regional as well). With each entries photo is a link to the documentation.

Division I Performance Arts: Demonstrating Period Activities, Applying Henna


Henna application demonstration at Regional A&S faire














Applying Henna Documentation











Division II Textile Arts: Costume: Accessories, Safavid Women's Head Wear




Safavid Women's Head Wear Documentation















Division III Technological Arts: Casting, Safavid Style Pewter Cast Buttons


Pewter Buttons Documentation
Division IV Studio Arts: Decorative Metalwork, Safavid Amulet Case










Safavid Amulet Case Documentation










Division III Technological Arts: Research, Henna Research Paper



Henna Research Paper












Regional Display












No comments:

Post a Comment